My photo
A network of inspiring minds speaking about LIFE.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

What it feels like to be born on Christmas....

 

Whatcha mean 'Lik?

GIFTS
Anytime someone hears or notices that my birthday is December 25th, I get asked the same questions.  One of the questions is:  "Were you cheated out of gifts.....Did you get only one gift for Christmas and your birthday?"  I have a prepared speech for that everytime...."No I was never cheated out of a gifts.  However on my birthday I was afforded the opportunity to give others gifts".  This has been a repetitive speech I have given for 37 years.  It is just one of those things I will have to explain for the rest of my life.  Honestly, for me it has been an ice breaker, a conversation piece (especially the ladies *wink*).  When I was younger and being an only child, I got basically everything I wanted and desired.  However since I have gotten older I give more gifts than I receive.  It is something I expect because people are giving to everyone that day.  I don't feel left out because I am just thankful to see another year and to see smiles on people's faces as they open their gifts, especially my kids.  That is truly a wonderful present to me.

CHRIST'S BIRTHDAY
The other statement I hear after the "gift" question is:  "You are in good company......you ought to feel EXTRA blessed to be born on Christ's Birthday."  Actually, no I don't.  I don't feel any special, but being born on Christ's birthday, it has a reflective meaning.  I pride myself on serving others and being a beacon of light, even in the midst of my trials and tribulations.  I try to help others the best way that I can and it hurts when I can't.  However, I am learning, I am no Messiah....I am just a vessel speaking.  I can't do everything.  Just because I was born on Christ's birthday, I'm not Christ.  It's a desire to not see people in pain or despair, but I can't do everything.  Some people will abuse it, some people won't appreciate it, some just don't want it.  I am learning this more and more, but it won't stop me from caring and trying though.  I walk with Christ's LIGHT in me, not because I have the same birthday as HIM, but because that is what I suppose to do no matter when my birthday is.

BIRTHDAY PARTY & BIRTHDAY CAKE
One thing I have always missed though with being born on Christmas is a birthday party and birthday cake.  In preparing everything for Christmas and for families, I very seldom remember birthday cakes or a birthday party.  Maybe my old age is not allowing me to remember, but I don't remember but about 4 birthday cakes and two birthday parties.  I remember a chocolate cake with those hard sugar, tart letters spelling my name; a football cake; an upside down pineapple cake my grandmother made, and a cake I had for a surprise birthday party when I turned 31.  The two birthday parties, one was a surprise and the other was one I gave myself.  They may have been others but I don't remember them.  Blowing out candles....making a wish.....It seems simple, but that's me.  Simple things are memorable to me. Who wouldn't want to have a birthday party??  Balloons, cake, ice cream, your favorite meal.  Yeah, you can say..."why don't you buy or make your own cake or have our own party Malik?"....but sometimes it feels good to have someone do that for you.  Understand??  And furthermore again, on Christmas everybody is everywhere.  They are thinking about their own gifts, not focused on having a party for you.  I know it may sound childish, but even this year, all I wanted was a birthday cake.  Just a cake for me.  Blowing out candles.  Making a wish.  A surprise!!  The Happy Birthday song....It really bypasses folks in the midst of the day.  However through the years, I just look in the mirror and sing it to myself.  Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry.

Overall....its just that feeling of BEING BORN ON CHRISTMAS.....

No comments:

Post a Comment