My photo
A network of inspiring minds speaking about LIFE.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

"That's My Song"



"That's My Song"...

I was just sitting here listening to some podcasts at work and heard,  "welcome to the terrordome" and automatically I wanted to get up and start marching like the S1Ws....(if you don't know who the S1Ws, you are not a PE fan).  What I realized is that there are just some songs, no matter when you hear them nor how long ago they were made, it just touches/sparks your "soul".  It just speeches energy or subject matters in  your life.  That is why I know music is so crucial and influential.  Taking nothing off the new artists of today, but how we go from "Ribbon in the Sky" (Stevie Wonder and/or Intro) to "Bust your Windows" (Jazmine Sullivan).  Something just ain't right with music today!

I can name numerous songs, that when I hear them.....everything stops.  Just one of those...."that's my song"...finger snappin episodes. 

  1. Love Ballad - LTD (Jeffrey Osborne)George Benson made an uptempo version of this same song but LTD slowed it down and it is a classic to me. 
  2. Special Kind of Fool - Basic Black.  A one hit R&B wonder that went under the radar. 
  3. Forever in Your Eyes - Mint Condition.  Those dudes from Minnesota were a beast.  It is a must to see them in concert before I leave this earth.
  4. Scenario and Scenario (remix) - Who can say when they here Busta Rhymes' part, they don't want to tear something up??? "Heel up wheel up bring back come rewind"
  5. Set it Off - Big Daddy Kane...."let it roll get bold..." How Marley Marl chopped this JBs drum pattern for this track is amazing to me!
  6. I Ain't No Joke - Eric B & Rakim....I don't know if it is the song or the video for the song I love the most.  Graffitti, B-boy stance, boom box, gold chains, Eric B scratching at the end.....That was classic hip hop at its best.
  7. Andre 3000's verse on International Player....I don't care what folks say...He is in my top 5 lyrics of all time.  What he says....folks cant relate to so people don't give him his props  "like a premie out the womb, my partna yelling too soon don't do it, reconsider" 
  8. Gotta Get Mine - MC Breed & Tupac.  The HARDEST Tupac verse to me ever.  "I keep my mind on my money, money on my mind, finger on the trigger, hand on my nine" RIP Tupac and MC Breed...
  9. As - Stevie Wonder off Songs in the Key of Life.  If you don't have that CD in your collection, you missing the best of the best.  But "as" is songwriting at its greatest.  Listen to the words. 
  10. "By the Time I get to Phoenix" - Issac Hayes.  Hot Buttered Soul.  A 16 minute song that tells a story.  WOW.....
  11. "Yes" - Shekinah Glory Ministry.  Just say "Yes" to the Lord.
  12. "Encourage Yourself - Donald Lawrence.  This song will truly help you overcome trials and tribulations 

....I could go on and on.  I know there are several contrasts, but that is what music is. It has to challenge you mentally and physically.  To me, stuff today don't do that.  Don't get me wrong, Jill Scott, Ledisi, Musiq SoulChild, Anthony Hamilton., Common, and even Kanye (sometimes)....their music speaks to me.  I can relate, but it gotta be more substance than just fighting, shooting, and saying I got the most cars and stuff.  Bring back the soul music.

I ask you.....What songs touch your soul? 


Regards,
"Bobby Womack" (...if she's lonely now...)

1 comment:

  1. Pretty much any gospel song by Commissioned, "Livin for the City" by Mr. Steveland Morris, "Just To Get By" by Talib Kweli, "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley, "Man in The Mirror" by Michael Jackson, "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" by Public Enemy, "Criminal Minded" by BDP, "Melody" by Eric B. and Rakim, "(Something Inside) So Strong" by Labi Siffre are all songs that I pretty much drop everything to stop and LISTEN. Oh I would also add Ms. Alicia Keys to the list of new artists.

    ReplyDelete